Start a new topic

FPV.Connect - WiFi Client vs WiFi Server

What:

In the current implementation the FPV.Connect acts as a WiFi Server, which is fine, but leads to some limitations. If the FPV.Connect would act as a WiFi Client that connects to a WiFi access point like TBS Crossfire or Fusion does, one would still have the possibility to decide if the device, that shares the WiFi access point, is connected to the internet via WiFi or mobile data.

I do understand, that in most scenarios you will probably not have a static WiFi source (router) somewhere in the nowhere - but you have to keep in mind that a WiFi source can also be shared by mobile devices.

Which means if the FPV.Connect would be a WiFi Client one could connect to someone elses WiFi to share a livestream, or utilize the internet of another device instead of being limited to mobile data.

In the current state you will only be able to update the goggle by using mobile data. Which I don't really like especially if I'm home for example, since I don't have much mobile data.

Why:

I think that it does remove limitations (use WiFi internet, update goggles over WiFi instead mobile data) that would potentially be appreciated. There might be other (future) use cases (depending on the evolution of the FPV.Connect) in which this would make sense. Unfortunately I do not know where the FPV.Connect is going to head so, therefore the last I can say is that I'm keen to see what others think about that idea.

Greetings,
Felix

13 people like this idea

Damn, I really like this idea!

@Orqa FPV Support I would also like to know why this is not an option. The idea of it connecting to a hotspot makes more sense in connection wise, but sending and receiving  information might be different for the two connection types?

3 people like this

@Christoph Thanks, yeah I think it does too. I would have imagined setting up the connection similar to TBS Crossfire or Fusion - could even be support in app.

@Russ Basically what Christoph wrote. It's about removing limitations from the smartphone. But it is true that removing those limitations from the smartphone might cause other difficulties on the FPV.Connect side. About the update, that would be possible, but in the current state this does not seem to be intended - goggle has to be connected to check for updates.

@Orqa Oh, that's a bummer - is this completely out of the question by now? Do you mind sharing what the specific reason(s) were? Thank you in advance, though!

@ Lutz You are right, with probably more people going for TBS Cloud activating a hotspot might get a routine. The question is if the FPV.Connect does support WiFi server & client functionality, if it does not this es out of the question.

Thanks for all the replies!

2 people like this

This would either require you to activate a hotspot on your phone to use the app OR it would require fpv connect to both offer wifi server & clientfunctionality.

Hi there,

we were considering this one, but because of some specific reasons we have decided not to go with that one.

Like he said it would allow you to use a wifi internet connection on your phone which you can't when you are connected to the fpv.connect hotspot.

Imho it should be perfectly feasible todo this - the only tricky part is configuring the wifi connection details (ssid,username,password) - you would either have to be able todo this inside the goggles or have the fpv.connect fallback into access point mode if it can't connect to the setup wifi.

Basically the crossfire cloud stuff is doing exactly the same thing.

It creates an access point for initial configuration and then connects to a setup wifi access point after configuration.

What would this do though? Keep in mind the FPV connect hardware doesn't actually handle the live streaming, it only facilitates the connection to your phone. The app on your phone is what actually processes the live stream so it needs a direct connection to the goggles and one with enough bandwidth to transfer video so Bluetooth isn't an option. 

For updating firmware, it's possible ( I don't work for Orqa so I don't know ) that the app can download an update over regular internet wifi and save it to the phone until your ready to actually install. 

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, just curious about what it would bring.

Everything you wrote makes perfect sense!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment